Interesting Statistics About Automobile Accidents in Hawaii
Car Accidents in Hawaii
- Driving while distracted is one of the major causes of accidents through the US and an increase in cell phone use while driving is also to blame. Not only are drivers using their phones to make calls but now with smartphones, they are checking email, getting directions and posting on social media sites while driving, causing them to be distracted for longer periods of time.
- This has in turn caused the amount of distracted drivers on the road to increase as some people may think there is no harm in using their cell phones especially with the younger generation.
There is an average of 1 million registered vehicles in Hawaii. Sadly, car accidents occur at about 10,000 serious accidents per year. Awareness and safety on the road is improving steadily but unfortunately, automobile accidents are a major cause of injury and even death on the islands.
Here Are Some Recent Statistics On Automobile Accidents:
- According to Hawaii’s Department of Transportation, there are an average of 120-150 automobile accident fatalities in Hawaii each year,
- The top leading causes of accidents in Hawaii is speeding. The other causes are failure to yield, crossing the yellow line, driving the wrong way, following too close and improper turns.
- In Hawaii, 94 people died from a car accident in 2015.
- 35.1% (33) of those were alcohol-related.
- 42% (40) of those were speeding-related.
- The common ages that are most often killed in car accidents in Hawaii are 18-25, 40-50- and 65 plus.
Although following the rules of the road decreases your chances of being involved in a car crash, there is still the possibility of being in an automobile accident because of the actions of other drivers. If you have been involved in a car accident and need legal help, contact our Honolulu automobile accident attorney today.